Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Perfect Day

Today was pretty much a dream day for me. Well, with the exception that Clarence wasn't here to witness it. My kids were awesome! As a family we cleaned the house, read scriptures, watched some TV, and even picked up trash for 1/2 hour with NO FIGHTING!!! The stars aligned for me today.
Rewind 2 weeks prior: a dirty house, grouchy parents, and kids that loved to argue and yell to get their point across. Clarence and I finally realized (DUH!!!!!!!!!) that the only reason they're yelling at us is because we were yelling at them. So after much thought and prayers, we decided to change the way we handled things. We simply wouldn't yell. If the kids acted up and wanted to yell we just gave them extra chores. We wouldn't yell at them, we would talk camly and quietly to them and let them know that if they wanted to yell and scream at us it would just result more extra work.
2 things happened. 1) all my windows and walls downstairs are now clean, and 2) We have a happier home.
Why did it take me so long to realize this? I guess because I'm a slow learner and I like to be in control. Hi, my name is Trina Hansen and I am a yeller. There. I said it. Because of this I have 1 very strong willed daughter who LOVES to argue and get me to yell. I also have 3 others who witness me at my worst many times a week. Hopefully I can change. I think I am, but it's taking a loooong time.
Back to today. I let the kids know over breakfast what needed to be done today and how much time they dad to finish. I asked them how I could help and together we cleaned like crazy. The last thing I have the kids do is clean their rooms. I reminded them that I would be checking on their progress and if they were piddling they would have 10 minutes of extra work. Ethan has a hard time focusing, so I usually cut him some slack. After giving him a coupld of hours to clean his room I went to check on him. His room was still a mess. The legos were out and his clothes were everywhere. I WANTED to scream. Ididn't. Instead I took a deep breath and asked him how he was doing. His response? "Mom, I think I need an hour of extra work. Sorry." I was so taken back I didn't know what to say! Finally I just told him that would be a good idea and he needed to quickly clean his room. 30 minutes later it was done and he was out picking up trash in the backyard. The girls did need 15 minutes a piece, which they took willingly and NO COMPLAINING! I even went outside and helped. How could I not? They were awesome!
After dinner they quietly did their chores and after putting Kalry to bed we read scriptures. Usually this is also a big fight, but not lately. They read willingly and actually enjoyed the scriptures. After prayers I told them for the 10th time how thankful I was for their attitudes. I told them that the reason why they feel good inside is because we were able to have the spirit. Ethan started smiling really big and then let me know it was gas he was feeling. I love my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment