Monday, June 13, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend

About 3 years ago we took our kids and my parents to Colorado for a week. We visited a couple of places and had a blast. On a whim we decided to check out a little lake that was a favorite place to visit of one of our neighbors. The place was called Groundhog Reservoir. After just a day of fishing and driving around the area I knew Clarence had found true love. The elk were up on the mountain, the trout were biting, and the deer were thick and beautiful. The best thing about it though was that there wasn't a lot of traffic. Yup, I knew that we would probably buy some land here some day when the time and price were right.


Last October the stars aligned and it happened. We became new owners of property in Colorado on Groundhog. We spent the whole winter and into the spring just salivating over pictures of the land and talking about when we could get up there. FINALLY the snow melted enough and the roads were ok to visit.



Clarence and I decided we would go alone the first time to kinda explore the area on our own. Oh yeah, it was kinda our 15th wedding anniversary too... We were married December 27th, but every year for the last long time Clarence has been hunting during that time, so we decided that we would just celebrate our anniversary when it was more convienent: Like April or May. Ha ha.



Anyways, after a very LONG drive and a couple of stops later, we made it to the property. We had to take the toys out of the back of the toyhauler towards the end of our journey because the roads were just too muddy. Clarence put the truck in 4wheel drive and GUNNED it up the mountain cross country style. I still don't know how we made it, but we did. Here's our new "cabin" in the woods.

Maybe someday we'll actually build one, but for the next 20 years this will work. This is the whole reason why we bought the property: The view!



Our first night we set up the spotting scope and binoculars and glassed for hours. We saw hundreds of elk and deer. It was so cool.


We did a lot of fishing too. I always would forget my camera, but I did manage to remember to at least get a picture of Clarence as he was cleaning the fish in a stream by the cabin.

We rode the 4 wheelers around and saw a lot of wildlife. Every day we would make the drive up the mountain on CRAZY 4 wheelerr trails so we could go to the top and check our voicemail and call our kids. I missed cell phone service, but after a while I got to where I liked not being available all the time.

The last day Clarence and I hiked up the top of the mountain instead of driving. WHEW!!! What a hike it was! First of all it was straight up the mountain with only elk trails to follow, and second of all I had to keep up with daddy long legs. But we made it and I felt pretty good! Clarence called me his scrappy little mountain goat. I really enjoyed the hike and the exercise.

These pictures don't do it justice, but the views from up top are AMAZING!
I had a great weekend with my honey, and it was nice to spend some time with just him without the distraction of 4 kids. It was nice to really have no plans and just RELAX. Thanks for the great vacation, and I look forward to many more of them in CO.

No comments:

Post a Comment