Wednesday, May 18, 2011

History ROCKS!

Last week Kalityn did history rocks. What is history rocks you might ask? Why it's a day when all the 5th graders dress up like their history character and give a brief history of their lives and accomplishments. A couple of months ago I blogged about Kaitlyn being Harriet Tubbman. This quarter she chose Sally K. Ride. She was the first woman astronaut to go into space, er something like that.

Tuesday night Kaitlyn mentioned to me that her performance was Thursday. WHAT?? THIS Thursday? As in less than 2 days Thursday? I frantically racked my brain trying to think of a costume that would do Sally Ride Justice. Do I know anyone who has a space suit? No. An astronaut helmet? Again, No. I stewed about it during the night and finally decided that our best bet would be at Nana's. SO Wednesday we went to Nanas to see what we could find. After much searching we figured the black ski bibs with a black shirt would be our best bet. I also remembred that I had a princess wig from Halloween. It had wringletts and a braid atross the front, but with a little help it just might work! We searched the closet and came up with a pair of snow boots to complete the outfit.

Thursday morning I printed off NASA patches and a name tag and put em on her with zots.... I couldn't find the tape. I found an old motorcycle helmet in the garage. After adjusting the wig and tucking in the unwanted curls, this is what we ended up with. Can you see the resemblance?


Kaitlyn did a great job on her performance. She had her part memorized and was very animated. Aww, I love this girl!






Here is a group shot of all the 5th grade. What an awesome group of kids! LOVE History Rocks!







Thanks to them I just won $50,000 of pretend money on Who wants to be a Millionare.

1 comment: