Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Slacker and the shot put

I have been trying to blog all week, but the problem is I just don't have anything blog worthy to write about. CORRECTION: there have been things I WANT to bkog about, but I want to include pictures and I keep forgetting to bring the dang camera! I will get better.. I will get better... For instance, last Thursday was the Jr. High track meet. It was Kaitlyn's first meet ever! Of all the events that she could have done, what does she do? Shot put. Seriously? My little scrawny 11 year old throwing a shot put... that's like telling a chicken to throw a boulder. Ok, so chickens don't have arms, but that's not the point here. When she came home from track practice the first day I knew we were in trouble. I asked her what events she was going to do and she told me the softball throw. If only it were that easy.... I should also note here that Clarissa is in track too, and she also does shot put. She took the year off last year and decided that she was reay to do it again this year. So, on Thursday I pack up Karly and head to the meet. I got there just in time to see Clarissa throw. She has improved so much since the last time! Her record used to be 13, but now it's 21 feet. Quite an accomplishment for her. Good job Clarissa! Next was Kaitlyn. She is left handed mind you, but I guess whoever was teaching her how to throw the shot put didn't take that into consideration. She stood in the right handed position, swung her right arm, ran up to the front of the circle, then THREW the shot put... just like she would a softball. It went up, and then right back down. Her throw was a whoppin' 5 feet! After some instruction from a coach on an opposing team she did manage to improve her throw... 9 feet, that's almost double! Her goal is to make it to the 10 foot line.. Clarissa told her she would give her an ice cream certificate it she does. Another thing that's been exciting is Karly actually walked! We were enjoying conference on Sunday and Karly just go up and walked. It was exciting and fun to see her, and we have been trying to get her to do it ever since. She has decided that it was a one time trick, and crawling and holding onto fingers is the way to go. Tonight was Ethan's pack meeting. He got his wolf badge and arrow points. I was so proud of him! He's been working hard.... er, I mean I'VE been working hard to make sure he got it before he turned 9. Can you see how excited he is to be there? He is taking a hunters safety course with his sisters and dad, which happens to be going on at the same time as the pack meeting. Bet you can't guess which he'd rather be at! I don't know what this is all about, but with Ethan I rarely do. I just wanted a nice picture of him with his new awards, and this is what I got. I love this kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment