Thursday, July 31, 2014

Nauvoo at last!

We got up early and left for Nauvoo.  Due to me navigating, we missed the turn and had to reroute our trip.  When we go to the bridge we had to stop.  I was kinda glad we were a little late so we could see this.  The bridge had opened up to allow a big ship to come through. 
 It was a neat sight to see, especially for us folks who aren't used to seeing such big ships or rivers!  We were there for 45 minutes, and I don't know how long the cars in front of us had to wait. 


 Once we got to Nauvoo we headed to the visitor center to pick up our tickets I had reserved for the day and to see if they had any carriage or wagon rides available.  We were in luck.  They had just enough seats for our group of 11 that left in 10 minutes!The carriage ride was about 45 minutes.  It took us to a couple of places, including one called inspirational point and to a grove of trees that was a resemblance to the sacred grove Joseph Smith prayed in so many years ago.  The ride was neat.  The teamsters were so good and had great stories to tell.  They focused a lot on Joseph Smith and Emma, and you couldn't help but feel the spirit on this ride. 
After we finished our carriage ride, Clarence and I took our 3 eldest and headed to the temple to do baptisms.  This was kind of a big deal for me.  I now had 3 kids old enough to go to the temple, and Kaitlyn has been working endlessly on family search.  At the time she had located over 750 names that needed some kind of work.  She is 15, and I am grateful for her love of family history.
The temple was beautiful.  I could see why the church was so anxious to build a new temple that was a replica of the original one.  So much history here!  I was impressed with all the small details.  Clarissa said she loves this temple because of it's simplicity.  The saints went to great measures to make this temple as beautiful as it was. 
 
After the temple we went in search of our family.  Julie and my parents were at the park with Karly, and Eleanor and Eugene were at the visitor center watching a live performance.  We all met up at the visitor center to wait for the show to end.  I asked Julie where Karly was and she said she was with my parents.  About 30 minutes later we went to lunch.  Before I crossed the street I saw my parents.  Karly was not with them.  I asked them where she was and they said Julie had her.  I kinda panicked.  I started yelling, "where is Karly?  Where is my baby girl?"  I was in the middle of the street by then and I'm sure I caught more than a few glances from anyone within earshot.  My dad and Clarence ran back to the car and went the few blocks to where they had last seen her.  They found her there, in the care of the sister missionaries with a big bonnet and pioneer skirt on.  She was sad at first, but the missionaries told her we would be there soon, and she settled down and waited for us to return.  I guess a little girl asked her to play and she said, "Uh, not right now!"  I think she was a little traumatized.  I am ever grateful for those missionaries who kept her calm and happy.
 
After lunch we started touring some of the places in Nauvoo.  What a beautiful place!  I loved that at every stop we went to they made sure they left us with their testimony and a little gospel thought.  Today we visited the  Scovil Bakery at got a free cookie, the pPost Office, the Print Place, the store,  the Browning and Browing Gunshop, and the Stoddard Tin Shop.  It was so cool to see what kind of things the pioneers would shop for and the equipment they used to print, to bake, and to make beautiful works of art. 
They were so skilled in their areas!        
 I was also very impressed with the missionaries that gave so much dedication and their time to make this an enjoyable experience for everyone. 
It was hard to imagine that they did this all by hand and with no electricity!

  The printing press was really cool.  I couldn't grasp the concept of having to set each letter or word by hand and print off one page at a time.  Such patience!
 
The tin shop was intriguing.  They would make lanterns, pie plates, cups, kettles, and even assist in the making of the wheels in the covered wagons.  I never thought about that before.

 The Browning Home and Gunsmith shop was the highlight for Ethan.  He could spend hours in here.  In fact, over the next couple of days, he was a frequent visitor to this place.   The guns were so cool!  They did a demonstration on how a barrel of a gun would be made.  Their tools were fascinating to all of us. 
 Ethan paid particular attention to this gun.  How cool is this!  This was built by one of the Browning Brothers.

One thing I loved about Nauvoo is there endless photo opportunities.  We had to stop here for a spell to take a few of these.

 I think they liked the idea of us pulling them along  as they sit back and enjoy the ride.  Wait, isn't that what we as parents are already doing? 




I love this one with my mom and I.  Ethan in the wagon is priceless.

Our last place we visited for the day was the blacksmith.  I had been waiting all afternoon for this one.  I don't really know why, but I just knew it was a place I wanted to see.  I was not disappointed.  The shop was FULL of interesting stuff.  The wagon wheels, the metal tools, the horseshoes... it was as I had imagined it to be.  My kids thought this place was pretty cool too.

 After learning about how the wheels were made, we went into the workshop and learned how to make a horseshoe.  He talked about how the metal has to be heated to just the right temperature before it is able to be handled.  It was a great reminder of why we must go through the "refiner's fire" before we are able to taught and bent into shape.  He made a horseshoe and presented it to my mom since her birthday was coming up in a few days.
We also learned about the Prairie Diamond Ring, and we all got to take one home.              Evidently there was a beautiful girl that turned the heads of several boys in Nauvoo.  Her dad wouldn't let anyone marry her though unless they presented her with a diamond ring.  That kept a lot of them at bay, but the son the blacksmith go to thinking.  He happened upon a box of nails that were known as Diamond nails.  He  heated one up and made a ring with it.  Upon completion he presented this diamond ring to the girl's father and asked for her hand in marriage.  He thought about it and gave his consent.  It became known as the prairie diamond ring.

Something interesting is how they shoed oxen.  I guess that oxen can't stand on 3 legs without falling over.  Their solution was to put them in these shoots and using a system of ropes and levers, hoist up 1 leg at a time to put the shoes on.  I guess they could be a bit unruly as well.







Lastly, but certainly not leastly, we went to the dress rehearsal for the British Pageant.

We were told it wouldn't be as crowded, and they were right.  We got there about 10 minutes before it started and were able to get pretty close seats.  I loved this performance.  The main characters in the cast were from England.  To get into the pageant you must apply and get accepted, then pay your own way and cover all of your expenses while you stay in Nauvoo for the 2 to 3 weeks.  If you are a main character you stay the whole month for the pageant.  That is dedication! 
The performance is about the early saints that were in England who were converted.  There were thousands of them in a short amount of time.  They had been prepared and were waiting for this gospel truth.  So many of them made the journey to America to be with the saints.  A highlight for me were the pagpipers.  They were very good.  Every day we could hear them around Nauvoo as they played at various locations.  This group was responsible for the beginning of the pageant each night.  A beautiful sound!  It was a great performance.

It was a fun filled day, and we spent every minute we possibly could here in Nauvoo.  Tomorrow promises to be a packed day as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment